The Bangor Historical Society was established in 1864 by a group of 22 men led by Judge John Godfrey, who were interested in collecting, preserving and interpreting local history for the public.
It is the second-oldest historical society in the state, the oldest being the Maine Historical Society in Portland.
The Bangor Historical Society and the Bangor Public Library shared storage and meeting space until the 1953 when the opened new facilities at the GAR Memorial Home, the Thomas A. Hill House.
Selected Bangor Historical Society images:
- Tobogan Run in Winter, Bangor, ca. 1895
- Grey Lady Uniform, Bangor, ca. 1942
- Brady Gang shooting, Bangor, 1937
- Bangor Fire, 1911
- Ruins of downtown buildings, Bangor, 1911
- Ruins of Post Office, Bangor, 1911
- Downtown burnt district, Bangor, 1911
- Removal of Brady after shooting, Bangor, 1937
- Central Street, Bangor, ca. 1935
- Dakin Sporting Goods Hunting And Fishing Window Display, Bangor, ca. 1937
- J. Edgar Hoover to Shep Hurd, Bangor, October 29, 1937
- Dakin Store Baseball Window Display, Bangor, ca. 1937